Saturday, January 3, 2009

My New Year's Prayer

Happy New Year! Starting a new year gets many people, including myself, thinking about changes they would like to see happen in their lives. Personally I would like to exercise consistently, eat healthier, manage my time better by focusing on those things that are important and to consistently post on this blog! Now I can make resolutions to do all things and more. However, I will ending up breaking these resolutions just like every other resolution I have ever made in my life.

Why? Because when I make a resolution, I'm relying on myself to change Rebecca which is a great way to fail because I don't have the power to change me. The only person who can change me and produce any good thing in me and my life is Jesus Christ. So instead of making resolutions this year, I'm going to take the suggestion I found in a devotion by Wendy Blight of the Proverbs 31 Ministry -- I'm going to write out a New Year's prayer asking God to change me in 2009. I have never shared a prayer like this before, but maybe it will inspire you to write your own prayer. Also, I know sometime during 2009 when the newness of this year has worn off and I have lost my zeal for change, I will need to re-visit this post to renew myself.

Father, I love you so much and I'm continually amazed by You and Your love for me. Thank you for choosing me as Your child. Thank you for leading me through 2008, the good times and the bad, and bringing me into 2009.

Please forgive me of the times that I have sinned against You and failed to honor and glorify You. I'm sorry for giving into my selfish desires and rebelling against You. I submit to You my time this year and all You have entrusted me with. I need and want Your help to live a life that will be pleasing to You and may I be careful to always give You the praise. Help me to be the best steward possible of my time, my body, my money, my spiritual gifts and the opportunities for service and growth that will come this year. May my priorities always line up with Your will for me. Give me wisdom and discernment so I will do the right thing at the right time, especially when doing the right thing will not be the easiest option. I want to do my best for You, but I cannot do it without Your guidance and strength.

I want this year to have a more intimate relationship with You. Give me a deeper understanding of Your Word, of Your Will for my life and of Your love. Renew within me a right spirit, one that is always willing to obey You regardless of the cost. I want to bear spiritual fruit for You, and I know that at times that will mean that I will have to endure trials or be pruned by You. During these times, please give me the right spirit so that I will persevere when it will be so easy to give up. I pray that my love for You will grow and that I will learn to trust You more.

Thank You for always keeping Your promises. I know You will be with me each step I take in 2009, and I pray that I will not stray for Your side. In Jesus' name, I pray. Amen.

I hope the new year brings each of you good health, joy, love and a closer walk with Jesus Christ!

No comments: