Friday, October 10, 2008

What's Been Happening in My Life

This summer was a busy time for me and I didn't seem to have any extra time to blog about all of the happenings so I'll do a recap:

In July, my friend and co-worker, Jimmie, died of cancer after battling the disease for a year. In spite of the grueling treatments and surgery, she continued to work without complaining. Jimmie never let the cancer steal her joy for life. I miss my friend -- her laughter, her stories, her help around the office -- but I have the peace in knowing that I'll see Jimmie again one day in heaven.

In August, I marked the three year anniversary of Hurricane Katrina by preparing for another storm, Hurricane Gustav. Like a lot of people, I was anxious with this storm with the memory of Katrina still vivid in my mind, especially since we were in the forecasted area for landfall. I did my best to turn my worries into prayers. I wasn't praying that the storm would go somewhere else, but that the storm would weaken, and God answered my prayers. When Gustav arrived on Labor Day, it was not as intense as predicted, and my family did not sustain any damage.

Two weeks later, I, along with the rest of the Gulf Coast, was watching another hurricane -- this one named Ike. Instead of being anxious, Ike surprised me because even though it struck Texas it brought us rain and wind for several days. Since Ike we've been fortunate that the Gulf has been quiet!

Which brings to October...I'm days away from my 40th birthday and a much anticipated vacation to the mountains. On the subject of my birthday, I'm not apprehensive about it (honestly). I've never understood why people get so wrapped up in dreading getting older and fear of birthdays that end in zero. I'm prepared for the "over the hill" jokes even though I don't get it...how is that if a person is 40 and alive, they're old, but if a person is 40 and dies, then everyone laments about how young that person was! I believe I'm blessed by God to have lived as long as I have. For Him to keep me here means He is not through with me yet and my job on earth is not complete. That in itself is enough to celebrate every day (regardless of your age)!

No comments: