Saturday, June 14, 2008

Day Out With Mom

This past Monday was a real treat for me -- I got to spend the day with my Mom shopping. Now this may seem like an ordinary event, but it was something we haven't had the opportunity to do often since Hurricane Katrina. Prior to Hurricane Katrina, we would regularly spend at a day together, usually Saturday, to shop and have lunch together.

So, here's what we did -- we went to the mall in Hattiesburg. My Mom was the one who knew which stores she wanted to visit and what she wanted to look for. I wasn't really looking for anything in particular; I was just along for the ride. As it turned out after walking the mall and visiting several stores, my Mom didn't find anything she wanted to buy, but I found a great sale on three blouses that I'll be able to wear when it gets cooler. (I love clothes that are on sale!!)

After our shopping, we had lunch at Red Lobster which brought back some happy memories for me. My Mom used to take me to Red Lobster every year for my birthday. As a single mom, the money was not there for us to eat out often so when we did, it was a treat, even if it was at a fast food restaurant. So to get to eat at Red Lobster on my birthday was something very special and something I looked forward to.

No comments: